Optimum customers seem to have a plethora of problems with their service. The company has a 1.3 rating on Trustpilot, and has become synonymous with inconsiderate customer support, charges to accounts even after cancelations, taking forever to port a number, skipped appointments, and many more.
If you want to cancel your Optimum services and find a reliable alternative, look no further.
Community Phone is the best alternative to Optimum service and does not require an internet or copper connection to operate. Its superior wireless technology connects to cell towers in your area, ensuring a reliable connection and excellent call quality even in rural areas and locations with poor reception.
Download our brochure below to learn how to upgrade your landline for cheaper with Community Phone.
What You Need to Know Before Cancelling Optimum
Before you cancel your Optimum home phone service, there are a few things you need to know.
- You'll need to cancel your service at least 1 day before the end of your billing cycle. You may be charged for an additional month of service if you cancel after that.
- Choose a new service provider. Read on to know why Community Phone is the best landline service provider in the U.S.
- You can contact Optimum and request a port out if you want to retain your landline number with the new provider. Read more about how to port your number further in the article.
- Your new provider can port an active number only. So you have to ensure your connection with Optimum is active while you initiate porting.
- You can disconnect Optimum services once the porting process is complete, or Community Phone can help you.
How To Cancel Optimum Services
Follow these steps to cancel Optimum service:
Step 1 - Call Customer Service
Provide your account number and billing zip code. Here are the customer service numbers for Optimum:
- New York (the Bronx, Brooklyn, Westchester): 718-860-3514
- New York (Long Island): 631-393-0636
- New Jersey: 973-230-6048
- Connecticut: 203-870-2583
- Business: 888-276-5255
Step 2 - Follow the Automated Instructions to Cancel Your Service
- Press 1
- Enter phone or account number
- Press 1 to confirm
- Say “cancel service.”
- When the VRU asks you - Are you calling to cancel service?, say Yes
- If the question is- Are you calling to remove internet or phone service? say Yes
- If VRU asks - Are you canceling service because you are moving? say Yes
Step 3 - State the Reason for Disconnecting Services
After finishing the VRU, you'll connect to a customer service executive. If you need Optimum to close your account, you may tell them that you're moving to an area outside of Optimum's service area. This excuse may help the company process your cancelation without retaining you.
Step 4 - Pay Outstanding Fees
You will need to pay any outstanding fees or charges. The customer service executive will then guide you through disconnecting your service.
Step 5 - Return Optimum Equipment
You must return any Optimum equipment you have. Follow these steps to return Optimum’s equipment:
- Prepare your equipment for return by disconnecting it and carefully placing all remotes and power cords in a box.
- Write your name, address, and account number* on a piece of paper and place it in the box.
- To start your return, visit the FedEx portal and enter your information.
- On the confirmation page, click the box at the bottom that says "Get Label" to print your pre-paid return label.
- Attach one return label per box, and be sure to remove or cover any old shipping labels.
- Bring the box to Walgreens, FedEx Office, or any authorized FedEx location. Don't use the FedEx Drop Box.
- Remember to ask for a receipt for your shipment as proof of mailing.
And that's it. You've successfully canceled your Optimum home phone service!
Switch to Community Phone - A Reliable Landline Service
Community Phone is the best landline phone service that does not require internet or copper connections to operate. With cost-effective plans, 24/7 reliable customer support, DIY installation, NO contract, NO hidden fees, and a 14-day risk-FREE trial, Community Phone is the best alternative to Optimum.
Talk to our Landline Specialists to know more!
Keep Your Landline Number with Community Phone
If you want to keep your landline number after you leave Optimum, you can port it to Community Phone. Follow these simple steps to initiate the porting:
- First, contact Community Phone to start the porting process.
- You can do this by calling them at 833-449-8586.
- The company will need some information from you, like your transfer PIN, account number, and service address.
- Community Phone will initiate porting once the necessary information has been obtained and will keep you posted.
- Ensure you do not cancel your Optimum services until the porting process is complete and Optimum notifies you.
Benefits of Switching to Community Phone
Here are some benefits of switching to Community Phone:
- Unlimited nationwide calling
- Call forwarding and call waiting
- Spam call protection and
- Call Recording on your landline.
Household & Business Friendly Plans
Community Phone is perfect for homes as the company does not bundle its landline service with other services you don’t need and does not expect you to sign a 2-3 year contract like the digital landline providers. You won’t see a raise in your monthly phone bill and can choose from their cost-effective plans that start from as low as 39/month.
Businesses can choose from various calling features and customize the plans to suit their needs.
If you are a business owner, talk to our landline specialists to get your custom quote NOW.
How It Works
- No internet connection needed
- Keep your existing phone number
- Quick and easy installation
- Stay connected during emergencies when the power is out.
- Talk to loved ones without worrying about dropped calls.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens to my email when I cancel Optimum?
When you cancel Optimum, your email account will be closed. A service like Gmail or Outlook is recommended, not associated with any Landline Service Provider.
Can you cancel Optimum at the store?
No, you cannot cancel Optimum at the store. You must cancel over the phone and bring your equipment to a store.
What happens if you don't return Optimum equipment?
If you don't return your Optimum equipment, they may charge you a fee. Fees are applicable for unreturned, lost, and damaged items.
Conclusion - The Bottom Line
Many landline service providers force customers to jump through hoops to cancel their services. Follow the above steps to cancel your Optimum service and return the equipment. Or, talk to Community Phone about porting your number to them. The company will initiate porting and help you ditch your old provider.