Nobody likes being bombarded by spam calls every day. It is highly problematic because it doesn't let you focus on your work, and you might miss important business calls because of spam calls.
There were more than 50 billion robocalls in the US in 2021. If you have also been bothered by unwanted calls, you must be wondering: Why do I get so many spam calls?
The best way to block spam calls is to switch to Community Phone’s landline phone service.
Community Phone's mission is to keep people connected and ensure that when the phone rings, it's their family, friends, or doctor on the line. The best part? All landline plans include FREE spam call blocking.
It enables you to flag any spam, unwanted, or robocalls and blocks them before your landline phone even rings.
Why Are You Getting So Many Spam Calls?
There can be multiple reasons for getting spam calls. Let's discuss answers to the question why am I getting so many spam calls all of a sudden? in detail here:
1. Your Number is Sold in Scammer Groups
Getting a lot of unwanted calls would mean your number has been sold to a scammer group. Once your number is sold, it's used by all the scammers who have access to it.
They try to defraud you in multiple ways by posing as professionals. Some might pretend to be from insurance agencies. Others might portray themselves as car dealers.
People usually receive calls from fake healthcare insurers giving them discounted insurance options. However, their only purpose in reaching out to you is to steal your personal information.
2. You May Have Picked Up an Unwanted Call
Americans lost $29.8 billion in 2021 due to scam calls. Scammers also target you because you picked up their call once. They take it as an invitation and try to call you repeatedly as you look like a good target.
They might also try to call you from different numbers to increase their chances of engaging you. They leave you alone only when they are sure there are no chances of success.
3. Your Number is Public
If you are a business, you must list your contact in the public domain to help customers and potential customers. However, you should keep your personal numbers private. If you list them in the public domain, scammers will be ready to exploit them and call you repeatedly.
These days, hundreds of phone apps are always ready to harvest your data, including your phone numbers. We often accept their terms without thinking twice, leading to the data being leaked to scammers. To prevent this, you can go to the settings on your phone, check the permissions given to different apps, and limit access to those that look suspicious.
Your personal number should only be with your loved ones, trusted colleagues, and close business partners.
Are spam calls driving you crazy? Find out how Community Phone successfully blocked 22,000 spam calls for landline users in August.
Click the button below to see the results and learn how you can enjoy uninterrupted connection and peace of mind.
How Do I Stop Getting Spam Calls?
If you have been asking yourself, why do I get so many spam calls? but find no way out, don't worry. You can get rid of them by taking the steps described below.
1. Community Phone's Spam Call Blocking
Most telecom providers do not offer call blocking services, leaving you with no option but to block and unblock numbers on your phone manually. Manually blocking spam calls is ineffective because numbers can be blocked only after receiving the call.
The only effective way to block spam calls is to switch to a provider that blocks them automatically before they reach you.
Community Phone offers landline phone service with FREE spam call blocking that can stop unlawful and unwanted calls from reaching your landline. It allows you to keep your landline phone without tying it to the internet and block 100% of spam calls.
With two different types of services, Robocall Blocking and Complete Scam Blocking plans, Community Phone helps you stay in control of who can call you and when.
The Robocall Blocking feature allows users to block all robocalls before they reach their phone while the Complete Scam Blocking plan enables users to create an “Allow List” which will only allow contacts from that list to be able to contact them.
Learn more about how both services work below:
Option 1: Community Phone’s Robocall Blocking
Community Phone's Robocall Blocking is an effective solution to unwanted calls and spam. With this service, you can block 100% of spam calls and never worry about them again. The best part? It's free with any of their landline plans, starting at just $39 per month.
How does the Robocall Blocking work?
- When someone dials your Community Phone number, they won't hear your phone ringing immediately; instead, they will be asked to press 1 to connect.
- Robocalls work by sensing when the recipient picks up the phone and speaks, so when no one does, the call never reaches your phone.
Robo-Call Blocking from Community Phone is easy to set up and use. Once you’ve signed up, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your private information isn't being exposed or compromised by spammers or malicious actors attempting to gain access through automated calls.
It is an incredibly cost-effective solution for anyone searching for a simple, quick way to block spam calls.
Option 2: Community Phone’s Complete Scam Blocking
Community Phone’s Complete Scam Blocking enables users to set an “Allowed List” of the people who can ring their phone.
All other calls are then blocked by default—preventing 100% of scam calls and unwanted solicitations without manually filtering through each call. This means no more interruptions during meals or when you’re in the middle of something important.
How does the Allowed List work?
The Allowed List is easy to set up and manage. You can create a list of contacts you want to receive calls from. This can include friends, family members, work colleagues, or any other people or businesses you are comfortable receiving calls from.
This list acts as a safelist of approved callers. Then, all other numbers not on your list will be blocked from calling your phone line.
If someone new attempts to call your phone line, the Allowed List will detect the unfamiliar number and automatically reject the call before it even reaches you.
Community Phone's Complete Scam Blocking provides an excellent solution for anyone looking for a convenient way to protect themselves against telemarketing scams, robocalls, and other types of unsolicited communication while still ensuring they never miss important calls from people they know.
Whether you live alone or have a large family who relies on your landline for communication, this feature can help keep everyone safe from harm while preventing annoying interruptions throughout the day.
The Allow List successfully blocked 12,105 calls for 47 landline users in August. Click the button below to see the results and learn how you can enjoy uninterrupted connection and peace of mind.
2. National Do Not Call Registry
The NDNC Registry, managed by the FTC, tells telemarketers which numbers they cannot contact for sales calls. It allows you to choose whether you want to receive telemarketing calls.
However, you might still receive some calls from charities, political organizations, surveys, etc. If you receive calls from scammers after your registration has exceeded 31 days, you can report it to the FTC.
3. Use the *60 Star Code.
If you want to eliminate a number spamming you, use the code *60, which lets you block it easily. Here's how to do it:
- Pick up the receiver and dial *60
- You'll hear instructions that will walk you through the blocking process.
- Press #01# to block the very recent number
- If you want to block another number, dial #, then the concerned number with the area code, and # again
Spam Call FAQs
How do I get rid of so many spam calls?
- You can register on the National Do Not Call list. Call 1-888-382-1222 (voice) or 1-866-290-4236 (TTY) for free.
- Call from the same number that you want to register
- You can also register at donotcall.gov.
Why am I receiving so many more spam calls?
- Usually, you receive spam calls because your number has been sold to scammers. They try their best to defraud you by calling you repeatedly.
- Make sure you report these scammers regularly to Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade Commission.
What happens when I call back a spam number?
If you call a spam number back:
- It may go to a high-cost international number.
- You will be paying for that call.
- And the scammer will be making money.
Therefore, you must avoid calling a spam number back. Instead, it is advised to block the number from your phone and report it immediately.
Should I answer spam calls?
- You should never answer spam calls. Picking up spam calls is terrible because it encourages scammers to keep trying to win you over.
- The Community Phone spam blocker is a better option to protect you from unwanted calls.
- It will automatically block all robocalls.
What are spam calls trying to do?
- Spam calls are trying to steal your data. Spam callers usually pretend to be authentic representatives of different companies, especially the ones you trust.
- The whole purpose of spamming is to extract as much of your information as possible and use it to defraud you. Spam calls ask for sensitive information such as credit cards, bank accounts, etc.
Can spam calls hack your phone?
- Spam calls cannot hack your phone directly. But by pretending to be representatives of a company you trust, they can get information that can help them hack your phone.
- They also try to hack into your phone by pretending they're from prestigious companies like Apple and encourage you to install malicious software that extracts data from your phone.
If you have the right technology, getting rid of spam calls is easy. Get the Community Phone spam call-blocker to find a long-term solution to the problem. Community Phone with Nomorobo is launching soon, which will pair with the already powerful spam blocker to give you added peace and security.